Both tomato and basil are two of the main ingredients in this soup and both are approved for the HCG diet. This is a simple recipe that you can scale up and this tomato and basil soup is very filling. It allows you to still have your protein serving so you can serve it as a side dish, and you might be able to add an extra HCG diet vegetable as another side dish if you have enough calories left over. It will last for a few days in an airtight container in a refrigerator, so don't be afraid to make multiple servings to hold you over for a few days while you're on the diet.
On the HCG diet's helpful to make more than one serving at a time to save you time on cooking, so try to plan out your meals ahead of time during the week so that you don't have to cook very many times and to make Phase 2 of the diet more convenient for you (it's challenging enough as it is!).
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 10-12 leaves of basil, rolled and sliced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can plum tomatoes
- 5 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Add a small amount of broth to a large saucepan pan on medium heat.
- SautÃ© onions for about 10 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sautÃ© another minute.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly and blend in a blender or use an immersion blender.
- Serve hot or store in an airtight container and refrigerate.
Calories per Serving: 119
About the author
Dr. Constance Odom, MD