When first embarking on Phase 2 of the hCG diet you will start to experience rapid weight loss. However, it is not unusual for you to arrive at a plateau where you cease dropping the pounds or notice a small gain in weight. This stall might concern you but don’t worry because it rarely lasts for longer than three days. You can quickly get back on track and continue to lose weight.
Reasons Why You Might Experience a Plateau
Here are several reasons why you might plateau during the hCG diet:
- Water Retention: Water retention occurs in both men and women, but it is far more common for it to happen in women, especially during the end of the hCG diet protocol. If you start to retain water, try to resolve the issue by drinking more water. Women often experience a weight gain due to water retention during their period. If you start your period while on the hCG diet, you should stop taking the hCG until your period ends.
- Eating Out: You cannot control the ingredients in food if you dine out often. You might consume something that interferes with the hCG. Ideally, you should plan and prepare all meals at home while undergoing the dietary protocol and avoid dining out. If you have been eating out, it is not uncommon to plateau or even start to gain weight.
- Protein: When following Dr. Simeons hCG diet protocol you can consume lean beef but, even if you are careful with your meat purchases you may buy beef that has excessive fat. Grain fed beef tends to be higher in fat than grass fed organic cows. The extra fat in the meat interferes with the hCG hormone. During the diet, your fat intake must be kept extremely low. If you plateau, then you should try to change your source of protein by switching to chicken or white fish which will probably again trigger your continued weight loss.
- Improper Calorie Counting: While dieting, you cannot go over or under 500 calories per day. You must diligently count the calories every day. If you fail to count calories, then you may start to consume too many or too few.
- Oil-Based Cosmetics and Lotions: Lotions and cosmetics that contain oils are readily absorbed by the skin and interfere with the hCG. During clinical studies performed by the hCG diet founder Dr. Simeons and other researchers, it was revealed that oil-based cosmetics actively interfered with the diet. If you must use cosmetics, then make sure they are oil-free and only water-based products.
- Artificial Sweeteners: Artificial sweeteners are loaded with chemicals that can react with the hCG. They are a definite ‘no-no’ when you are actively following the hCG diet protocol. The only sweetener allowed is natural stevia.
If your diet has genuinely stalled for five or six days, then you should start to explore the causes listed above. It is imperative that you be honest with yourself about your dietary foods. If you have cheated on your caloric intake and you have accidentally consumed an excessive amount of calories, then you must reduce your calories again and return to dieting as usual.
If you plateau for only three or four days but then you start to lose weight again then you will not need to make any adjustments. If you plateau on our hCG diet, then we encourage you to call us so we can help you through.
Success with the hCG diet requires dedication and commitment to the protocol. If you deviate, you need to get yourself back on track immediately. Remember, adhering to the menu means you will successfully start to drop the pounds. If you do plateau, rest assured that the situation will correct itself and you will again begin to lose weight.